Next intake: Starts 5th July, 2021
Applications close: Monday 21st June, 2021
Duration: 35 weeks part-time (DCL), then 1.5-2 years with part-time and full-time options available
Study mode: Online learning
Fees: $10,195 +GST for full programme (only $7,390 +GST if Part 1: DCL has been completed) – earlybird discount currently available
Result: Level 9 (180 credits)
The Master of Contemporary Education has been designed to support the professional development and needs of teachers and educators in their rapidly changing teaching and learning environments. The qualification directly focuses on adding measurable, beneficial value to you, your school and your education communities.
The qualification is:
- Practice-based, learner-focused and solutions-driven
- Agile, blended, iterative and collaborative
- Collaborative and supported by practical workshops and online communities
The final output of this work-based Master’s qualification is an in-depth project that is developed, presented and shared with education peers and advisors at The Mind Lab Education Symposium.
What you'll walk away with
An understanding of emerging education challenges and how to address areas that need improvement
The ability to authentically respond to cultural and social change
Skills to lead and drive sustained pedagogical change to improve student outcomes
Digital fluency and the ability to effectively implement into your day-to-day teaching practice
Key dates & structure
Key programme details
Structure & time requirement
The Master of Contemporary Education is made up of 3 parts:
- Part 1: 35-weeks, part-time Postgraduate Certificate in Digital & Collaborative Learning
- Part 2: part-time or full-time, Leadership and Collaboration in Contemporary Education – covering 4 courses
- Part 3: part-time or full-time, your Practice-Based Change Project
- Part 2 is delivered over one year, starting January or July, with approximately 12-15 hours study per week.
- Part 3 is delivered over the following year with approximately 12-15 hours study per week.
- Part 2 is delivered over 6 months, starting January or July.
- Part 3 is delivered over the following 6 months and is equivalent to around 600 hours of learning. The pace you complete it depends on the time you can allocate to study, whether it’s approximately 25 hours study per week or 35 hours study per week.
Our Master of Contemporary Education is currently run as scheduled facilitated sessions online, enabling teachers to complete this qualification from any location in New Zealand, alongside full-day workshops in person.
Face-to-face sessions including symposiums will be at The Mind Lab – 99 Khyber Pass Road, Grafton, Auckland.
- July 2021 intake: starts 5th July and can be completed as part-time study
- January 2022 intake: starts 17th January and can be completed as part-time or full-time study
- July 2022 intake: starts 18th July and can be completed as part-time or full-time study
The tuition fee for the full Masters programme is $10,195 +GST and each Part will be invoiced separately as you progress through the programme.
- Part 1 (DCL): $2,805 +GST
- Part 2: $3,695 +GST
- Part 3: $3,695 +GST
If you have already completed your Postgraduate Certificate in Digital & Collaborative Learning, the full programme fees consist of Part 2 and Part 3 only and total $7,390 +GST.
We offer an Earlybird Discount for Part 2 and Part 3 of the Masters programme.
July 2021 intake: if you complete your application before midnight on June 5th you will receive a 25% earlybird discount. This means your fees will be $2,771.25 +GST for each Part, or $5,542.50 +GST total (excluding Part 1: DCL).
January 2022 and July 2022 intakes: if you complete your application more than 1 month before the start date, you will receive a 10% earlybird discount. This means your fees will be $3,325.50 +GST for each Part, or $6,651 +GST total (excluding Part 1: DCL).
Please note, this discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other scholarships offered by the Mind Lab.
We offer a range scholarships for our Master of Contemporary Education.
Postgraduate students are eligible to apply for StudyLink Student Loans, Fees Free or there are also a range of local grants and scholarships available for postgraduate study, click here to learn about some of the options.
Educators with either an undergraduate qualification (not necessarily in education) or a Diploma in Education will automatically qualify for entry. Applicants with other qualifications/experience can also be considered.
For admission into this programme all applicants will be interviewed by one of the Academic team members to ensure that the MCE programme is the right fit.
Please contact us to discuss your individual circumstances.
Develop and adapt existing teaching practice and education knowledge to build new capability and greater confidence of emerging technologies and digital technologies.
Develop data-informed and research-led practice, informed by changing education expectations, measurable student outcomes and student achievement.
Lead collaborative learner-focused teaching practice in the context of new influences, policy changes and emerging opportunities in contemporary education.
Critically analyse key challenges and opportunities in contemporary education, and generate solutions and strategies to advance practice.
Matthew Eagle, Rongotai College
Postgraduate Certificate in Digital and Collaborative Learning
4 courses, part-time over 35 weeks
Leadership and Collaboration in Contemporary Education
4 courses developing collaboration and leadership contextualised in contemporary education practice, including the importance of digital fluency. Part 2 develops a robust scope for the leadership of a practice-based project and collaboration in one or more other practice projects.
Part-time over 1 year.
Practice-based Change Project
In this capstone course, the candidates evidence their change in practice and learning through the implementation and critical evaluation of practice-based projects.
Part-time over 1 year or full-time over 6 months.
Enquire about our Master of Contemporary Education and one of our outreach team will get in touch.